Thursday, April 20, 2006

Catherine from Away


It has been my pleasure to know Catherine for three years now, and the fact that it has been eight months since we lived in the same town and we are still close friends is, given my track record with correspondence, a testimony to how loveable she really is.

A statuesque and blond shikse goddess, Catherine is my exact opposite in many ways. But right from the first, she and I had a bond. Though both of us were doing graduate work in Religious Studies, we both lived and breathed movies. Our film collaborations in the past have mostly consisted of much discussion and the occasional crashing of a Fellini flick, but now we have finally put our passion to constructive use. It is both fitting and enjoyable that the lady who introduced me to blogging is now a partner in my latest internet venture, and I have high hopes for this hobby-project.

For example, that it may land us both lucrative jobs in media…? (All serious offers considered. Please leave your name and website url in the comments field, and specify which of the two astounding critics you mean to address.)

Catherine holds a graduate degree in the social scientific study of religion from McMaster University, and enjoys yoga, knitting and photography. She is also a dab hand at cooking, especially when this involves various combinations of rice, beans and corn. Aside from some of the most … interesting tastes in music of any of my friends, she is also a fine critic of film and fiction, and has a wide understanding of contemporary films and pop culture. First and foremost, however, Catherine has at her command the best grasp of CBC lore and procedure of anyone I know, and is one of those rare birds called a “True and Proud Canadian.”

Catherine is currently a freelance writer and also works in an art centre on Prince Edward Island, where she religiously takes long drives along the wonderful landscape and has constant adventures with her cat.

I am pleased to bring my interests together with hers, as they both contrast and compliment each other very well, and I anticipate that I shall learn a lot about reviewing from this born critic (and I say that with all affection).

I am proud to present my colleague and sister in film-buffdom, Catherine, who, even if she weren't as wonderful as she is, would still have my undying gratitude for she has been my main supplier of Charlie Chaplin books, and this is a gift that truly keeps on giving.

6 Comments:

Blogger LaTina said...

i like knitting, too!

6:13 p.m.  
Blogger H. said...

I appreciate knitted stuff...

6:46 a.m.  
Blogger Catherine said...

Yeah, the knitting, beans, and cat references make me sound like I'm a 27-year old spinster, but it's not true! I like to get crunk, too!

(Note to self: look up what crunk means.)

9:37 a.m.  
Blogger LaTina said...

does that mean that if someone described me, i'd sound like a 23-yr-old spinster? my husband makes fun of my knitting, but i tell you knitting is in.

9:57 a.m.  
Blogger H. said...

No, no. You don't have to be a spinster to have a cat and knit!

You could also be an old lady.

11:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, nice site!

10:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home