Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Panic!

This is a public service announcement. Please, for the sake of your mental health, do not see Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (2005). I hated hated hated this movie. And yes, I did read the book. I don’t remember much of it, but I hope it turns out to be more memorable than this POS.


I don’t know if the dry British lit-humour just didn’t translate to the screen or what. I don’t think it was the cast. Martin Freeman was fine as Arthur, and the reason I went to see this snorefest in the first place. Who didn't fall in love with him as Tim Canterbury on "The Office"? Mos Def was very good as Ford Prefect. There was a stupid effing depressed robot thing that simply was not funny. I wanted to kill Sam Rockwell, and for the first time ever, Zooey Deschanel’s wide-eyed cuteness made me angry. How can a movie like this make me angry? It wasn’t Hotel Rwanda (2004)! It was a waste of time.

Storylines were disconnected. The love story was lacklustre to say the least (as this implied there was still some lustre, I’m loath to use this description). Slapstick was overdrawn. There were bits that were reminiscent of Wild Wild West (1999). Zaphod has two heads! Zaphod has three arms! Oh, people! It’s so stinkin’ funny! Look at him! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Ah. Oh… oh.

My favourite part was when Ford and Arthur went to a pub in the AM and ordered 6 pints of beer. I also think that was the funniest bit. It was 5 minutes from the opening titles. Oh, ye gods… I forgot about the opening titles. It was a chorus of dolphins singing “So long and thanks for the fish,” as a good-bye to earth. It went on.

When I saw this film in the theatre, I spent a huge chunk of time concentrating on prying a popcorn husk from between two of my molars with my tongue. I was actually disappointed once I’d extracted it, because then I had to pay attention to the film.

I know this movie has been out for a while, and you've probably seen it already, either in theatres or on DVD, if you were any way inclined. Still, if I can dissuade one person, I've done my job.

7 Comments:

Blogger H. said...

Maybe we should change the maxim, "Always carry your towel," to "Always carry your vomit bag." Which now can read, "Always carry your remote," as this thing is likely to hit satellite TV near you right some quick.

Oh my, what they CAN do to books, eh?

10:04 p.m.  
Blogger H. said...

I just remembered something. Miss Bingley haunts this thing, doesn't she??

A sad chapter in the "whatever happened to...?" file.

3:00 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

My favorite part was actually when they were all made of yarn and the little yarn man threw up string. It was really cute.

I wanted the robot to die forever. But I also wanted it to die in the books too, because I just don't like those kinds of personalities.

1:33 a.m.  
Blogger Catherine said...

Amanda - you're right. The yarn bit was slightly redeeming, I must admit. I'm glad you're with me on that GD robot, though.

1:19 p.m.  
Blogger fifipoo07 said...

When I went to see I was probably the only one that laughed in the whole auditorium. Looking back on it, there was something not quite right about the whole thing. Pippa

6:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't kill Sam Rockwell until you've seen "Box of Moonlight."

8:36 p.m.  
Blogger Catherine said...

Oh, no. I mean just in this movie, with this character, with this script. I've liked him in everything else I've seen him in, but I hasn't seen "Box of Moonlight." Thanks for the recommendation!

7:38 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home